ASSISTANT CITY MANAGER
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS:
This is highly responsible administrative work assisting the City Manager in the performance of managerial duties. An employee in this classification is responsible for relieving the City Manager of a wide variety of administrative duties. The basic function of the work is to provide leadership and direction. The incumbent may act for, or represent, the Deputy City Manager or City Manager at City Commission Meetings, committee meetings, civic gatherings, or other official functions. Instructions received on matters of policy and new assignments usually consist of statements of desired objectives and outcomes. Work is subject to review and direction of the City Manager through discussions, goal setting and performance reviews, or analysis of recommendations and reports.
- Participates in preparing the Annual City Budget and in budget control activities.
- Assists and/or coordinates the City’s Strategic Planning processes.
- Responds to complaints, inquiries, and service requests from the public.
- Accompanies the City Manager to meetings as necessary and performs required follow-up on decisions reached.
- Confers with Department Heads to convey information concerning established policies and practices and to gather information required as a basis for action by the City Manager.
- Handles routine correspondence received by the City Manager and Mayor; prepares a variety of documents and reports; attends a variety of meetings.
- Regularly supervises and coordinates the operation of various City Departments.
- May represent the City Manager’s Office in collective bargaining negotiations and may be the City negotiator as assigned.
- For management development and succession planning purposes, the Assistant may be asked to perform the duties of the Deputy City Manager on a rotational basis, with no adjustments in compensation.
- Serves as Acting Deputy City Manager or City Manager in their absence.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of the functions, principles, practices and techniques of public administration.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of management.
- Through knowledge of public finance and governmental budgeting.
- Ability to analyze a variety of administrative problems and to make sound policy and procedural recommendations as to their solution.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in written or oral form, and to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE):
- Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university. Master’s Degree with a specialization in municipal management, public administration or related field preferred.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible administrative and leadership experience in municipal administration
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Must work the schedule necessary to meet the requirements of the position.
- Must establish and maintain official residence within the corporate boundaries of the City of Lakeland following appointment.
- Position is designated as Mission Critical.
Salary Range: $80,866.92 - $150,184.52 Annually
Apply at: www.lakelandgov.net
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE