CITY OF LARGO, FLORIDA
ASSISTANT CITY MANAGER
Largo, FL (82,244) The City of Largo is seeking an outgoing, seasoned local government professional to work closely with the City Manager and the Executive Leadership Team in furthering its desire to implement High Performance Organization principles. Largo located in the heart of Pinellas County along the Gulf Coast of West Central Florida, is proudly the fourth largest city in the Tampa Bay region thanks to a great quality of life for its residents, an affordable cost of living and proximity to a vast network of diversified businesses. As a key member of Largo’s Executive Leadership Team, the Assistant City Manager will play a vital role in establishing clear organizational direction, and will empower employees to advance organizational priorities supporting the City’s strategic plan focusing on Sustainability, Public Health and Safety, and Community Pride. Largo is a values-driven organization; candidates will embody integrity, collaboration, passion and creativity.
The Assistant City Manager directly supervises seven operating departments including: Finance; Information Technology; Library Service; Recreation, Parks and Arts; Public Works; Engineering Services, and Environmental Services. The Assistant City Manager is charged with leading and coaching approximately 450 full time staff members. These key departments are responsible for central aspects of the Largo Strategic Plan calling for an individual who is well-acquainted with the challenges experienced by operating departments as well as respectful of the subject matter experts who together share their expertise to provide superior services to the residents and business community. The new Assistant City Manager will demonstrate strong leadership and management skill. The organization is looking to the future, and will find value in an individual who can facilitate change, act as an innovator and sounding board and has a track record of leading individuals to reach their full professional potential.
The Assistant City Manager is responsible for budget oversight of approximately $80 million; appointment is subject to the approval of the City Commission and reports to the City Manager.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
- A minimum of five years of experience in an executive leadership role in municipal or county government. Demonstrated track record of continued professional development and a member in good standing of the International City/County Management Association (ICMA).
- A Masters degree in Public Administration or a directly related field is required.
- A dedicated individual committed to implementation of a High Performance Organization who can demonstrate enthusiasm for the City of Largo, its mission and vision.
- Residency in the City of Largo is expected unless the City Commission grants permission otherwise.
- Strong project management oversight with a track record of facilitating projects from commencement to completion.
- Proficiency in project management oversight to ensure assigned departments successfully deliver on the City’s strategic plan.
- Identify and celebrate success; build trust among employee groups while constructively communicating opportunities for improvement.
- Well-developed interpersonal and oral/written communication skills that further working relationships with elected officials, department directors, other governmental agencies and the general public, unions and staff.
- A creative, self-starter who can readily assess and develop solutions and strategies for dealing with complex problems public issues and community response.
Salary range is $97,968 to $137,113.59 DOQE. Qualified candidates can apply online at www.govhrusa.com/career-center/ with a resumé, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by January 18, 2019 to Kathleen Rush, TEL: 847/380-3240.