POSITION: Planner I/Development Services
DEPARTMENT: Planning and Economic Opportunity
SALARY RANGE: $40,925.00 - $51,110.00 Annually
REPORTS: Planning & Economic Opportunity Assistant Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PAY GRADE: 106
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, coordinates the review and approval process of applications for new land development projects and the re-development of existing sites; ensures that the review process is performed in accordance with Nassau County Ordinances and land development regulations. Provides technical assistance on the County’s development review procedures and development standards. Interprets County planning and zoning regulations for professionals and the general public. Performs a variety of professional planning task associated with, among other things, complete streets programing, bicycle and pedestrian planning, community outreach, and geospatial analysis.
• Coordinates inter- and intra-governmental as it relates to the development review process.
• Assists the Planner II and Strategic Planner in bicycle and pedestrian transportation planning initiatives and the review of development projects by ensuring bicycle and pedestrian facilities are properly integrated.
• Coordinates with the Planner I/GIS Analyst in an effort tomaintain a GIS mapping inventory of bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
• Processes development applications for land development and oversees the development review process.
• Acts as primary liaison between land development applicants and review staff. Works directly with Development Review Committee to resolve outstanding issues.
• Acts as liaison between the County departments and Planning and Economic Opportunity staff with respect to Development Review planning issues, communicates needs, activities and required action for projects and outstanding issues.
• Receives and responds to inquiries regarding zoning issues; interprets and explains codes, ordinances and regulations to engineers, architects, contractors, property / business owners, and other interested parties.
• Assists permit applicants; determines/verifies zoning status as requested.
• Reviews building permits, site plans and subdivision plats for compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
• Reviews and comments on petitions to the Planning and Zoning Board and Conditional Use and Variance Board.
• Makes presentations to the Planning and Zoning Board, Conditional Use and Variance Board, Board of County Commissioners and citizens’ groups as required; provides expert advice to boards regarding planning issues.
• Advises the Assistant Director on updating/revising regulations and on the requirements of the Comprehensive Plan.
• Researches information pertaining to land development issues.
• Conducts field inspections of properties.
• Coordinates planning efforts with consulting firms as requested.
• Interacts and communicates with the immediate supervisor, co-workers, County personnel, engineers, contractors, consultants, architects, Board members, community/civic organizations and the general public.
• Operates a vehicle and a variety of equipment, which may include a computer, telephone, calculator, copier, etc.
• Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher management with respect to vacation time and leave requests.
• Performs related duties as required.
(These essential functions are not a complete statement of all duties required of the job. Employees will be required to perform such other related job duties as may be assigned or required.)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Geography, Transportation, Public Administration or related field supplemented by six (6) months to one (1) year in urban/municipal planning or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess a valid State Driver's License.
A graduate degree in planning or a related field with experience (or academic concentration) in land-use planning, urban design, development review, intermodal transportation, or complete streets programming supplemented with knowledge of ESRI’s ArcMAP, MS Access, and Adobe Illustrator and InDesign preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the methods, policies and procedures of the Department and County as they pertain to the performance of duties of the Planner I/Development Services.
• Knowledge of the functions and interrelationships of the County and Governmental agencies.
• Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Knowledge of various disciplines related to urban planning, including demographics, land use development, economics/economic development, zoning, etc.
• Knowledge of codes and regulations governing permitting activities.
• Ability to make sound, educated decisions.
• Knowledge of the theories and practices of engineering and architecture.
• Ability to offer training and assistance to co-workers and employees of other departments as required.
• Ability to plan and develop daily, short-termand long-term goals related to County purposes.
• Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the position without the need of direct supervision.
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
• Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and efficiency.
• Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and technology.
• Ability to use a computer for word and data processing.
• Ability to perform required mathematical calculations.
• Ability to read and interpret complex materials pertaining to the responsibilities of the job.
• Ability to assemble and analyze information and prepare reports and records in a concise, clear and effective manner.
• Knowledge of the terminology and various professional languages used within the department.
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with co-workers, personnel in other departments, professionals and members of the public through contact and cooperation.
• Ability to react calmly and quickly in emergency situations.
Essential Physical Skills:
• Tasks require extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
• Lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs.
• Pushing and pulling
• Climbing on ladders, on steps or on the ground
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
• Works inside in an office environment.
• Has knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the industry.
I have read and understand this job description, possess the minimum education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and am capable and willing of performing all essential functions.
Apply At: Applications will be accepted until filled. Application and job description can be obtained from the Human Resources Department located at 96135 Nassau Place, Suite 5, Yulee, Florida 32097, Telephone (904) 530-6075 or Fax (904) 321-5797, or at www.nassaucountyfl.com. Drug Free Workplace.