Classification: Building Inspector I
Department: Building Department
Reports To: Building Official
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: 106 – $19.6755 - $24.5721 Hourly
Job Location: Nassau County
Apply At: Applications will be accepted until filled. Application and job description can be obtained from the Human Resources Department located at 96135 Nassau Place, Suite 5, Yulee, Florida 32097, Telephone (904) 530-6075 or Fax (904) 321-5797, or at www.nassaucountyfl.com. Drug Free Workplace. This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference in accordance with applicable laws.
- Inspects new and existing buildings, both commercial and residential, to ensure compliance with State and County Building Codes.
- Plans and schedules inspections of new and existing residential buildings.
- Performs detailed inspections of buildings during and following construction/remodeling for compliance with State and County Building codes, including Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical and Gas codes. Prepares reports of violation and necessary corrective actions.
- Inspects mobile homes for compliance with State requirements pertaining to set-up, electrical, plumbing and mechanical requirements.
- Reviews building plans, site plans and specifications for compliance with applicable regulatory standards, including Building codes, Handicap Accessibility and Flood Zone and Zoning requirements.
- Reviews building permits for compliance.
- Receives inquiries and complaints from contractors, property owners, County officials and the public; interprets and explains regulatory provisions and negotiates compliance.
- Issues warning notices, stop work orders, summonses; obtains inspection warrants and testifies in legal proceedings as required.
- Performs re-inspections; provides intensive follow-up and keeps accurate daily records to ensure resolution of all cases.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of all building codes and inspection/enforcement procedures.
- Maintains required certification through State-mandated continuing education.
- Ensures timely maintenance of assigned vehicle.
- Performs a variety of routine administrative/office duties as required, which may include but are not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering computer data, attending meetings, ordering supplies, answering the telephone, etc.
- Prepares, processes and submits various documents, including daily inspection logs, vehicle mileage log, permits, violation notices, stop work orders, logs, memos, correspondence, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, building official co-workers, County personnel, County Commissioners (VIA County Manager), complainants, property/business owners, contractors, architects, engineers,various community/civic organizations, various other Governmental agencies, vendors and the general public.
- Operates a vehicle and a variety of equipment, which may include a computer, fax machine, copier, calculator, telephone, two-way radio, camera, etc. Utilizes measuring devices, ladders and scaffolding to perform inspections.
- Attends and remains at work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding absenteeism and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to higher management with respect to vacation time and leave requests.
- Performs related duties as required.
(These essential functions are not a complete statement of all duties required of the job. Employees will be required to perform such other related job duties as may be assigned or required.)
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires a high school diploma or GED. Must possess a State of Florida Standard Inspector License (one and two-family dwelling or plumbing, electrical, mechanical and building inspector). Preference will be given to applicants who possess multiple Florida State Licenses. Must possess a valid State Driver's License.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the methods, policies and procedures of the Department as they pertain to the performance duties of the Building Inspector I.
- Knowledge of the functions and interrelationships of County and other Governmental agencies.
- Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability to plan and schedule building inspections.
- Knowledge of building construction techniques, codes, methods and acceptable practices as required to perform thorough and accurate inspections and to determine code compliance.
- Ability to review construction plans and drawings to execute job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of codes and regulations related to issuing permits in building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and related areas.
- Ability to offer training and assistance to co-workers and employees of other departments as required.
- Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the position without the need of direct supervision.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
- Ability to learn and utilize new skills and information to improve job performance and efficiency.
- Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and technology.
- Ability to use a computer for word processing and records management.
- Ability to perform required mathematical calculations.
- Ability to read and interpret complex materials pertaining to the responsibilities of the job.
- Lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Pushing and pulling
- Climbing on ladders, on steps, on scaffolding or on the ground.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability)
- Works inside and out of doors in various weather and environmental conditions.
- Ability to work effectively despite exposure to extreme weather conditions of heat and cold, wetness, humidity, machinery hazards, electrical currents, violence, smoke/dust, odors, dirt/pollen, dangerous animals, traffic hazards, noise extremes, and working at heights.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the industry.