CITY SEEKS CITY ATTORNEY APPLICANTS
Sanibel is a barrier island sanctuary, one in which a diverse population lives in harmony with the island's wildlife and natural habitats. Sanibel’s estimated population of 7,350 full-time residents grows substantially during season due to vacationers and day trippers. Sanibel is a world-class destination known for its 15 miles of superb shell beaches, 26 miles of biking trails and wildlife refuges. More than seventy-five percent of the island is made up of nature preserves. Sanibel chooses to remain unique through a development pattern which reflects the predominance of natural conditions and characteristics over human intrusions. By Code, all forms of development and redevelopment will preserve the community's unique small town identity.
The City of Sanibel with a City Council/City Manager form of government is seeking resumes for the position of City Attorney. The City Attorney position reports to and serves at the pleasure of the Sanibel City Council. City Council generally meets the first Tuesday of each month at 9:00 a.m. The City Attorney is required to perform complex professional and responsible administrative work overseeing the legal affairs of the City, providing legal counsel and advice to City Council, Planning Commission, City Manager, Department Directors and other appointed boards and committees. The Planning Commission typically meets twice a month on Tuesday mornings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as legal counsel to City Council, Planning Commission, City Manager and other boards, committees and City officials
- Draft and/or supervise the drafting of ordinances and resolutions for City Council, Planning Commission and legal documents for other boards and committees as necessary
- Attend City Council, Planning Commission meetings and attend other board and committee meetings as needed
- Research and provide legal opinions and legal guidance to City Council, City Manager, City officials and City staff on a broad range of municipal issues
- Serve as legislative liaison for the City with state and federal governments, as directed by City Council
- Draft and/or approve contracts, deeds, leases, public notices, releases and other legal documents on behalf of the City
- Represents the City in legal matters
- Decide major legal questions in litigation, claims, leases and contracts, land titles and related legal matters
- Represents the City in litigation matter, including the oversight of attorneys retained by the City for specialized litigation
- Attends meetings with City staff, e.g. weekly staff meetings , development meetings or other meetings where attendance by the City Attorney will benefit the City interests
- Prepare the department budget and oversee expenditures
- Advises and represents the City on code enforcement matters, including code hearings, to include acquisition of Code Hearing Examiner services and relate logistics
- Prepare legal opinions as requested
- Supervise and administer land transactions
- Reviews revisions to all City policies prior to implementation, including but not limited to, Police General Orders and Personnel Policies
- Perform other duties as assigned and required
- Must be admitted to the Bar to practice law in the State of Florida
- A minimum of seven years of total legal experience with a minimum of four years of experience in local government law
- Attorney in good standing in the Florida Bar
- Experience in land use law is preferred
How to Apply and the Selection Process
Interested applicants should submit a resume to the City of Sanibel, 800 Dunlop Road, Sanibel, FL 33957, Attn: Administrative Services (CA). Resumes should fully explain elements of the law in which the applicant has been engaged.
Following review of the resumes submitted for minimum qualifications, City Council members will determine the selection process and next steps.
SALARY AND BENEFITS ARE NEGOTIABLE.
Note: Florida Statutes will govern all materials submitted for consideration for this position.