Building Official- City of Cape Coral, FL
Home to an estimated 181,200 residents, Cape Coral comprises 122 square miles and is located in Lee County on the beautiful Gulf Coast of Southwest Florida. The City of Cape Coral was founded in 1957 as a master planned, pre-platted community and incorporated in 1970. The City is known as a “Waterfront Wonderland” with more than 400 miles of canals; boating, fishing and water sports are a significant enhancement to the quality of life.
Appointed by and under the direct supervision of the Community Development Director, the Building Official:
- Oversees the enforcement of Federal, State, and Local codes and the activities of inspections, plans examination, and permit issuance.
- Reviews, implements, and researches codes to clarify and interpret meaning.
- Performs skilled inspections and certification of new, existing, and altered buildings and structures for compliance with Federal, State, and Local code requirements.
- Provides staff support for the Department of Community Development, various committees, study groups, task forces, etc.
- Shall possess extensive knowledge of building construction methods, materials and principles, as well as applicable municipal, regional and state regulatory practices.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
We are interested in candidates who are customer service oriented, not afraid to take risks, have excellent communication skills and be accountable. The successful candidate will have knowledge of:
- Materials, methods, and practices involved in building and structural construction.
- Possible defects and faults in building and structural construction of standard testing devices and of effective corrective measures.
- Building industry's municipal, regional, and state regulatory practices.
- Inspections, plans review, and report and record maintenance principles and techniques.
- Principles and practices of effective administration to include evaluating organizing, directing, and planning.
- Effective leadership, supervisory, and management principles and techniques.
- Principles of budget development, evaluation, adherence, and forecasting.
- Safety precautions and personal protective equipment required in building operations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Construction Management, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, or a related field. Education will be supplemented by eight (8) years of required experience in a related field as a supervisor. Certification in one or more of the following areas is preferred: Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical Inspector, or Plans Examiner.
The State of Florida requires that the successful candidate possess a Florida Building Code Administrator’s license prior to employment.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The pay range for the position is:
$73,216.00 - $117,166.40
Employee benefits are competitive, generous and include:
- Medical and Life Insurance.
- Dental and vision plans.
- Deferred Contribution or Defined Benefit as retirement plan options.
- 457 and Roth IRA available.
- Paid Holidays (11).
- Generous Sick and Vacation Annual Leave.
- And More.
Apply on-line at www.capecoral.net
- Click on “Careers”
- Click on “Building Official Opportunity” in the center of the page
- Set up your account via Governmentjobs.com and apply