An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Tampa Bay Library Consortium, Inc.
Organization Summary The Tampa Bay Library Consortium (TBLC) is a nonprofit multi-type Library Cooperative that assists and empowers over 120 libraries of all types including public, academic, school and specialized. Since 1979, TBLC has worked with member libraries to provide better, faster service to the residents of central Florida.
TBLC members include state colleges, state university system libraries, private academic schools, colleges and universities, public school systems, and public and special libraries. Together these libraries serve over 6.3 million Floridians in central Florida.
TBLC headquarters is located in Tampa and has 9 staff members. The organization is administered by an executive director and is governed by the 13-member Board of Directors composed of elected representatives from member libraries.
TBLC is a community of libraries and the people who work in them committed to collaboration and bettering Floridians’ lives through continuously improving library services. TBLC supports this community’s success by providing essential services, connecting staff through active engagement, and creating an environment of continuous learning and innovation.
Provide services that push the edge of innovation, help libraries and library staff provide services that transform Floridian’s lives and build up the library brand.
Executive Director Position Description
Exempt full‐time position reporting to the TBLC Board of Directors
$75,000 - $95,000
Insurance benefits include Health, Life, Vision, and Dental
TBLC’s Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the corporation. The work is highly responsible in nature requiring exceptional leadership skills, considerable initiative, and independent judgment. The Executive Director is responsible for performing multiple duties related to all aspects of strategic and organizational planning, budgeting and financial management, personnel management, grant writing and advocacy.
The Executive Director must:
- Demonstrate considerable flexibility and interact with multiple types of libraries with a variety of needs. The work requires familiarity with all aspects of library operations and management for all types of libraries.
- Demonstrate success in working with a governing board, especially in developing an annual budget aligned to Board policies and priorities.
- Provide leadership to the staff and membership, and promote TBLC’s mission within the region and the state.
- Responsible for the overall operation and management of the organization
- Defines vision, develops short and long-term plans, and measures progress toward goals
- Advises, recommends, and formulates policies with the TBLC Board
- Establishes procedures for effective management of the organization
- Builds and maintains relationships with the community, libraries, library organizations and governing boards
- Administers development, implementation, management, and evaluation of the Strategic Plan
- Leads regional strategic planning and implementation for innovative cooperative services
- Focuses on trend spotting and identifying emerging areas with potential benefit to the organization and membership
- Develops new programs and services in collaboration with interested members
- Cultivates innovation and global perspective
- Secures funding and investigates additional revenue sources
- Obtains and administers State, Federal and other grant funding to further TBLC’s mission
- Develops budgets and accounts for funds, maintains financial control and monitoring of expenditures with sound fiscal management practices
- Hires, supervises, motivates and inspires staff with leadership and vision
- Administers personnel operations including recruitment, professional development, and performance evaluation
- Provides for well-trained staff to implement and manage all of the TBLC services, technology, and operations
- Represents TBLC at regional, state and national levels
- Serves on appropriate Boards and committees that further the interests of TBLC and the membership
Responsibilities Specific to the Board
- Serves as an ex‐officio member of the Board
- Serves as Chief Executive Officer and official representative of the Board of Directors responsible for contracts, finances, and all TBLC programs
- Proposes new initiatives to the Board for consideration
- Presents a Directors report for TBLC at each meeting of the Directors and an Annual Report at the TBLC Annual Meeting
- Oversees a full and accurate account of TBLC funds, providing the Directors with regular financial reports, including the annual audit
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the President, the Board of Directors, or the Executive Committee meetings, personal site visits, email, and telephone
- Recruits and works to retain libraries for TBLC membership
- Provides leadership and direction for legislative advocacy for causes and issues of importance to TBLC and the membership
- Advocates for TBLC and the interests of the members at the regional, state, and national levels
Minimum Education and Experience
- Master of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited program
- 7 years of relevant management experience, including 3 years of demonstrated project management
- Demonstrated success writing, securing, and administering grants
- Successful track record in working with and reporting to a Board of Directors
- Evidence of participation and leadership in collaborative projects
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Directed, or managed at a high level, a library organization
- Demonstrated experience in budget and resource development and management
- Substantial experience in project and strategic planning and management relating to library organizations
- Strong working knowledge of personnel management
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus among diverse groups
- Exceptional ability to communicate, both with formal written and oral presentation skills
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
Evaluation of prospective candidates will begin immediately. Resume and cover letters complete with references should be emailed directly to:
Eric C. Head, Chair
TBLC Executive Director Search Committee
Phone: (352) 513-5960
The Tampa Bay Library Consortium is an equal opportunity employer.