Civil Service Board Director
Date Opened 1/20/2017 11:25:00 AM
Filing Deadline 2/20/2017 11:59:00 PM
Salary $115K - $140K - Depending on Qualifications
Department Civil Service Board
Job Type Unclassified
Employment Type Full-Time
Responsible for implementing the Hillsborough County Civil Service Act (Chapter 2000-445, L.O.F., as amended) in a manner consistent with the Act and policy direction provided by the Hillsborough County Civil Service Board. In so doing, manages a staff of human resources professionals and para-professionals in the delivery of human resource services, via a shared services model, to approximately 600 employees in fifteen independent County government agencies. The Executive Director is hired by and serves at the pleasure of the seven member Civil Service Board, the members of which are appointed by the Governor of the State of Florida.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Advanced degree, demonstrated ability to successfully lead an organization of similar size and scope of responsibility, and certification by one or more leading human resources professional organizations.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in Business or Public Administration, Psychology, or a related field; and Five years of progressively responsible personnel experience, including three years in a responsible supervisory position.
- Hires and directs a staff of human resource professionals in the timely delivery of high quality human resource services, via a shared-service model, to approximately 600 employees in 15 independent County government agencies.
- Maintains, implements, and enforces the rules of the Hillsborough County Civil Service Board.
- Maintains open communication with the leadership of client agencies to ensure alignment of services with the mission and goals of each agency.
- Develops and distributes Board meeting agendas and facilitates Board meetings on a monthly basis.
- Oversees the Civil Service Board discipline appeal and grievance hearing process from intake to final disposition, to include coordination and execution of Board hearings.
- Develops and conducts educational workshops for Board members and staff.
- Maintains currency on human resource issues in the public sector and advises the Civil Service Board, client agencies, and the Employee Advisory Committee on important events and trends.
- Supports the Employee Advisory Committee in its role as a communication conduit between classified employees and the Civil Service Board.
- Develops and implements an annual budget and work program by applying the funding formula defined in the Civil Service Act, determining funding needs, and working with the Board of County Commissioners and their staff.
- Complies with BOCC rules and procedures when expending and collecting funds.
- Negotiates and manages contracts with vendors on behalf of the Board.
- Fosters and promotes a workplace culture based on professionalism, collaboration, respect, and accountability.
- Markets and delivers Board services, under the business name of HRTrust, to government and quasi-government entities within Hillsborough County that are not identified as covered entities by the Civil Service Act.
- Recruits Board members and works with the Gubernatorial Appointments Office to obtain Board appointments.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Send a cover letter and resume to Meghan Deveau at email@example.com or call (813-274-6753) or email with questions.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of Hillsborough County have implemented a drug-free workplace and all offers of employment are conditioned on job applicants successfully passing a drug test.
RESPONSE/RECOVERY ACTIVITIES: Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities.
HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hillsborough County provides equal employment opportunity to all persons, regardless of age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, political affiliations, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, membership or non-membership in an employee organization, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.