The FAC 2015 Legislative Day is right around the corner! Commissioners and staff are encouraged to come to Tallahassee to assist in the lobbying efforts to protect home rule and prevent unfunded mandates. Thursday, March 26, will begin with a Legislative Briefing at the FSU Turnbull Conference Center (555 W. Pensacola Street, Tallahassee, FL 32306). Following the morning briefing attendees will have the opportunity to meet with their legislators; appointments should be scheduled prior to arrival in Tallahassee for the event.
Below are a few invaluable tips to help make your time at the Capitol count. Click here to download the complete article.
- Develop a rapport with members of your delegation.
- Regular phone contact during session is important.
- Offer technical support on issues you share in common.
- Offer to testify on a bill of interest to your county.
- Give legislators an early “heads up” call if one of their bills is going to cause problems for your county.
- Be direct in giving your opinion. However, avoid attacking legislators if they do not agree with your position.
- Offer to help legislators with constituent issues that may never find their way into legislation.
- Thank your legislators for the positive things they do.